THE MOCKINGBIRD'S SONG


One of our local mockingbirds is nesting again in our yard...Uh, oh.
 
The Northern Mockingbird is the Official State Bird of Texas 
(the first to choose this bird), but Florida, Tennessee, Arkansas, and Mississippi have also chosen it. With that information I asked myself, Why have so many states chosen the Northern Mockingbird to represent them?  
 
Reason:  the male is very territorial after mating: protecting it's nest. I've seen a mockingbird chase a coyote out of the vicinity of its nest. Also, I've read that this bird was chosen for Texas (my present home state) for the very reason of his territorial spirit: in the "defense" of its home and would die protecting it.
 
Thankfully, because he chases away all other birds, it seems, God saw fit to give him the song of all those he's cast out of my yard. Therefore, outside the fact that I won't see other species of birds around the house for a while I'll still hear them.  How Precious, Lovely, and Wonderful are God's creations.
 
                                                           Happy Gardening!
 
 

Comments