GARDENERS, WELCOME THE BARN SWALLOW: "THE FARMER'S FRIEND"

   Barn Swallow Adult (American)


Barn Swallows: "The Farmer's Friend": How and why is that?  Glad you asked.  Again, if you take care of the birds, they'll take care of you.  The problem is WHERE they may want to place a nest.  

For us, it was high above the front entry doorway nestled in the lower corner of a brick arch.  It was scary, because at the time she'd feed or sit on the eggs I could be coming in or out of the doorway. I experienced male and female birds darting over my head on my exits and entries.  It was only God that led me not to have my husband tear down their nest. Instead, I Googled the bird's description.  Then I was very happy to oblige.  And to know they didn't want to hurt me.  I was only scaring them.

Has anyone else noticed that many species of bird are placing their nest in more secure places like your carport or on your porch. Anything other than a tree. Leave a comment on that. (I found plenty of ruined nest on the ground with broken eggs, in Tennessee.) Maybe they know something we don't?  

(Below) The picture of a Mockingbird's nest was taken May 01,'22.


Yes, he's building his nest on a wood pile on the side of my workbench where the rain water won't drain through. Wait! He's a bug-eater. Plenty of bugs under there.

Yet, building a nest in secure places is the norm for Barn Swallows.  The trade-off is, if you let them build their families on your porch ceiling, over your front door, in your open-ended workshop, or barn, etc. undisturbed when they hear the sound of your tractor engine (large or small) they'll dart around you to catch all types of bugs springing up from the grass below.  Therefore, you don't have to worry about bugs attacking you while mowing high grass.  This bug-eater has, with precision, crossed my face to catch an insect before my face collided with that flying bug.  Wow! 

Nests Of Swallows Under The Roof Of A Village House  barn swallow nest stock pictures, royalty-free photos & images Never seen a barn swallow's nest like this before...wow.

When eggs hatch and little ones grow up, know that you've done nothing wrong when forked-tailed grayish to dark blue very fast birds with little orange faces start swooping down over your head. They don't want to strike or eat you!  They are not angry with you!  The swallows are eating the bugs that have been stirred up from the grass, all around you.  Rejoice!  It's mealtime when they hear the distinct sound of small or large tractor engines.  Please, don't swat at "The Farmer's Friend."  Their sharp beaks could hurt you. Might leave a mark. They ARE fast. Let them take care of you now, in their own way.

   Swallow nestings at very old chalet - feeding  barn swallow nest stock pictures, royalty-free photos & images The barn is one of their favorite nesting spots. Strong.

Unfortunately, this species may move on.  Some eaten by local hawks or snakes, which may be the reason why they do move on. I witnessed a hawk attack one of my "little friends."  Afterwards, they disappeared.  I miss these wise birds.  They learned overtime how to get a really good meal.  I hope they return to my yard someday.

                                                   Happy gardening, y'all!

   

     

Comments